Loyola University Physiology offers the Master of Science in Medical Physiology (MSMP) Program at Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Campus to earn a guaranteed interview at Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine in only nine months.
There’s a catch for all aspiring medical school students. You’ll need to achieve a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the MSMP Program and have scored a 30 or higher on your most recent MCAT to receive an automatic interview at the Stritch School of Medicine.
Remember, “Physiology is the basis of medicine,” states Stephen L. Lipsius, PhD, professor of physiology and director of the MSMP program. Therefore, if you want a head start on your medical career you cannot go wrong by coming to Loyola.
You will be taught by medical school professors, who use similar, if not the same, material for their medical student classes. And all classes are held in the Stritch School of Medicine. As physicians will tell you, it never hurts to improve your understanding of medical physiology before you get to medical school…your life will be much easier.
The MS in Medical Physiology degree at Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Campus is an excellent way for students to improve their academic credentials for medical school.
This MSMP program is only nine months long (September – May) and it does NOT require a thesis. Please be aware that this is a full-time curriculum which consists of nine courses for a total of 24 credits.
Specific courses include:
- Cell Physiology
- Physiological Biochemistry
- Organ Systems Physiology (2 semesters)
- Basic Human Anatomy
- Introduction to Pathophysiology
- Clinical Bioethics
An additional unique feature of the MSMP Program is a Professional Development course where students will gain experience in:
- interacting with medical professionals
- resume preparation
- completing medical school applications
- developing strong interviewing skills
- emergency department volunteering at Loyola Univ. Hospital.
Loyola University Physiology Eligibility
To be considered for the Master of Medical Physiology (MSMP) program applicants must present with a bachelor’s degree GPA of 3.0 or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university and an official MCAT score of 28 or higher.
Admission to the MS in Medical Physiology (MSMP) program will require:
- Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university
- One year of: biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and mathematics (calculus preferred)
- Official minimum test scores: MCAT 28 or GRE greater than 50th percentile (verbal plus quantitative)
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- Personal statement expressing your motivation for a biomedical career along with any relevant clinical, employment, teaching or research experiences
- Letters of Recommendation: two letters of recommendation or a pre-med committee letter(s)
- Agreement to Illinois state criminal background check
- Completed online application to Loyola University Chicago Graduate School
Transcripts and Letters of Recommendation, etc. should be sent to:
Graduate and Professional Enrollment Management
820 N. Michigan Ave.
Lewis Towers, Room 800
Chicago, IL 60611
The application deadline is August 1. Visit the MSMP Program website for further information.